Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Enchanted Drawing II: Animation Across the Disciplines Conference @ University of Pennsylvania
Friday, September 21, 2012 at 3:30 PM - Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 6:00 PM (EDT)
A collaborative conference between University of Pennsylvania + Institut für Kunst- und Bildgeschichte (IKB) der Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
Following up on the dynamic conversation that began in Berlin in March 2012 at ENCHANTED DRAWING I, ENCHANTED DRAWING II: ANIMATION ACROSS THE DISCIPLINES continues to explore a series of intersecting concerns that emerge through an engagement with animation history. It features the work of scholars and practitioners from a variety of fields, including cinema and media studies, the history of science, art history, animation design in the fields of science, gaming, engineering, medicine, and journalism.
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21 – SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2012
@ Institute of Contemporary Art, University of Pennsylvania
118 S. 36th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
Vivian Sobchack (UCLA)
Erna Fiorentini (Humboldt)
Scott Curtis (Northwestern)
Melissa Ragona (Carnegie Mellon)
Donald Crafton (Notre Dame)
Jimena Canales (Harvard)
Hanna Rose Shell (MIT)
Oliver Gaycken (Maryland)
Kirsten Ostherr (Rice)
Peggy Weil (USC-School of Cinematic Arts)
Norman I. Badler (Penn)
Alexander R. Galloway (NYU)
Bob Rehak (Swarthmore)
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 21, 2012 @ Institute of Contemporary Art, University of Pennsylvania.
Followed by screenings at International House of Philadelphia
2:30––3:30pm Attendees are encouraged to visit the ICA and their new exhibition Jeremy Deller: Joy in People
3:30-–5:30pm Keynote address by Vivian Sobchack, "Stop + Motion: On Animation, Inertia, and Innervation"
5:30-–6:30pm Reception at Institute of Contemporary Art
7:00pm Screening of animation at International House of Philadelphia
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2012 @ Institute of Contemporary Art, University of Pennsylvania
9:15–9:30am Opening remarks by Erna Fiorentini
9:30–11:00am Panel One | Moderator: Orkan Telhan (Penn, Fine Arts)
• Norman Badler, "Digital Animation From a Technical Perspective"
• Oliver Gaycken, "With Particle Swarms and Bad Hair: Animating Material Digitally"
• Peggy Weil, "Immersive Journalism, Immersive Data"
11:00am-12:30pm Panel Two | Moderator: Karen Beckman (Penn, History of Art and Cinema Studies)
• Jimena Canales, "Animating Einstein: 'The final days of my Zurich stay resemble a runaway motion picture projector'"
• Scott Curtis, "Rough and Smooth: Toward a Rhetoric of Animated Scientific Images"
• Hanna Rose Shell, "The Animation of Evanescence: Camouflage in Motion"
12:30–2:00 pm Lunch
2:00–3:30pm Panel Three
TRANSMEDIALITY | Moderator: Peter Decherney (Penn, English and Cinema Studies"
• Alexander R. Galloway, "Polygraphic Photography and the Origins of 3D Animation"
• Bob Rehak, "Graphic Engines: Videogame Animation as Transmedia Bridge"
• Melissa Ragona, "Algorithmic Aesthetics vs. Punk De'collage: From Animation to Live Performance"
3.30–4:00pm Coffee Break
4:00–5:30pm Panel Four
BODY | Moderator: Beth Linker (Penn, History and Sociology of Science)
• Kirsten Ostherr, "From Health Films to Healthy Games: Interventionist Animation"
• Donald Crafton, "Inside and Outside the Toon Body: Challenging Somatic Integrity through Animation History"
5:30-6:00pm Roundtable discussion with Erna Fiorentini + speakers to conclude the day; closing comments
For more information, please visit www.arthistory.upenn.edu/enchanted_drawing
or contact Nicola Gentili: email@example.com
Your message has been sent!
In order to purchase these tickets in installments, you'll need an Eventbrite account. Log in or sign up for a free account to continue.